We were wide open for bed possibilities in this room, because all we really had was a mattress. When we moved here a year and a half ago the movers broke our captains bed in one corner. As Tim Gunn says we had been making it work, but it was really time to go before it all fell apart while someone was sleeping in it. I have for a long time stalked Ana-White.com but had never quite been brave enough to try to make something myself. When I saw this bed I knew my daughter would go nuts for it, and she did. We changed it a little bit from the dimensions on the web site. We made ours a little wider and longer, plus we used 2 x6’s instead of 2×4’s on the bottom so it was a little deeper. Then I got two dollars worth of scrap trim from our Habitat for Humanity restore and chopped it up into all different sizes and then used some liquid nails to cover the 2×6’s. This gave it a bit of texture. My daughter decided that it must be bright yellow, and I mean bright.
My husband tied some mean boy scout knots to hold it up (knew those scouting skills would come in handy some day). I knew this whole bed was meant to be when I found rope at Lowes with the exact shade of pink we had been using in the room woven into it. This bed was also cheap. I had a bunch of 2×4’s left over from the room we added in the basement last year so I only spent 35 dollars for any other supplies I needed (wood, paint, rope, bolts for hanging and paint). We used her old quilt and just turned it over to the white back side. This was perfect since there is so much color on the bed already then we made a simple hot pink throw out of fleece and flannel to put on the end of the bed for some color and to keep her extra warm throughout the winter.
Close up of the easy and cheap trim detail.
If I was going to make this again I would cover the top with 1×2’s instead of 2×4’s. I like the slated look, but this bed is heavy. We made sure when we hung it that it could hold over 900 pounds. We also made sure to get the bolts in the ceiling in the exact center of the studs. I also taped some foam on the side of the bed next to the wall so we don’t loose too much paint when it accidentally hits the wall. This bed is sooo fun. It is nice to read a book on it while it is swinging gently (yes I may have done that while she was at school). Here is the rest of the room all done and put together.
My daughter made the paper mache swan last year in school, I thought it fit pretty well in the room.
My daughter loves doing origami so we got some paper in the right colors and she folded a lot of butterflies and flowers to hang on her wall behind her bed.
We even painted her old picture frames in the bright yellow and used curtain fabric for the mat.
So the room is done and she loves it. We had so much fun doing this together and because we tried to use as much stuff as we already had it was super cheap.
total cost: 143.45 and that includes everything!