Simplicity has launched a new pattern line called Sew Simple. The idea is simple pieces with one version per pattern. The patterns are cheap, one dollar at Wal-Mart. I saw 1998 and wanted to give it a try. I love the Audrey Hepburn feel of it and how it is so simple with a great detail at the neckline. The pattern is for a dress so I shortened it because I really need more tops. I used some navy/royal blue poly/linen blend from my mother in laws stash. The end result was good, but getting there was not easy.
First there was the collar. It was huge
It kept flopping all over, and I even interfaced it (which the pattern didn’t tell me to do). So I cut an inch off the width of it, after it was folded, so really two inched off the cut pattern piece.
The next issue with this pattern was of my own making
Yep, that is right, I serged a big chunk or the front of my fabric while serging the neckline. Normally this is the point where I would start screaming and throwing things, namely the top into the garbage can while calling it names I would kill my children for repeating. For some strange reason I had some extra patience that day so I decide to fix the problem. This pattern is rather large. Usually I cut a 12 to fit my shoulders then take it in on the sides to fit my rib cage and waist. This one was huge on the shoulders when I cut the 12 so I didn’t even unpick the seams I just cut them off along the seam line therefore making all the pieces smaller, then I re cut the front (luckily I had just enough fabric) in a size 10 and resewed it all together.
The next issue was again with the neckline
This problem I have named “the dog cone collar”. Has anyone seen the movie UP. When dog has to wear one of those plastic cone collars the other dogs all say he is wearing the cone of shame. Well I knew if I wore this top like this my kids would be chanting “cone of shame” whenever I walked through the room. So I ripped open the seam and cut an angled cut one inch in from the top to the edge at the bottom
then I folded over one edge and tucked the unfinished edge in it and sewed along the edge.
I know the correct thing to would have been to cut a whole new collar redrafting it with an angled cut at the seam so it would lay flat against my neck but I was out of fabric after the serger mishap. So it doesn’t look as smooth as it should, but I don’t think a lot of people out there spend a lot of time looking at the back of my neck, and if they are weird enough that they do I think I want a poorly sewn seam to make them loose interest, I don’t want any of those weirdo neck lookers staring at my neck!
The last issue. The pattern envelope doesn’t exactly have a clear picture, since it is kind of a drawing on a white shadow girl with crazy hair, but from what I saw it appeared that the dress was slightly fitted to white shadow girl, this pattern is NOT like that. It is really boxy with no shape. I took in a good two inches on each side to give it a more fitted look.
So after all of that I have to say I really like this top. It is very unique.
I love the collar, the pleat under the neckline, the blousy sleeves. Plus it is really comfortable. So after all the problems I think this shirt was completely worth it. It will not be a “go to” top, but a top for those days where I want to wear something a little different.