While wasting some time at the thrift store the other day I came across this
It is a Kenmore Stylist 86, probably made in 1960. A while back Tanit-Isis bought some vintage machines and she talked about plugging it in at the store to make sure it works and checking for a bobin case. So I dragged it over to a plug (this thing is heavy) and it worked, checked the bobbin which was there then lifted it into my cart with only a few grunts, did I mention it was heavy. For 20 bucks I figured even if it didn’t stitch well I could use it for weight lifting. So I brought it home and oiled it up, then I started sewing and sparks flew! ….No really sparks flew, I was testing its strength so I was sewing through six layers of denim with the old needle already in it (forgot to change that) and the needle bent just enough to hit the metal plate at top speed and create a few sparks (who says sewing isn’t exciting). Anyway after I changed the needle and figured out how to thread it correctly it worked great. I love this little lady. I have some major pants sewing to do and I really wanted another machine so I wouldn’t have to keep changing my thread for top stitching so it is perfect.
I wanted to make something simple on her first to make sure we understood each other before I let her anywhere near my jeans. I thought she would appreciate something from the same decade as herself so I pulled out this pattern I found a couple of months ago
Vogue 9022 I am guessing this pattern is late 60s, I couldn’t find a date on it anywhere. Can I just say even if I couldn’t sew with them I would still buy the vintage patterns just for the entertainment value of the pattern pictures. Where can I get that red shirt with the black panther on it?!?
Anyway this was a very simple skirt to make. The only thing I needed my other machine for was to make the buttonholes. This isn’t a very exciting skirt, but since I made it with corduroy it is very warm and since I live in Montana in January warm is a good thing.
See look how warm I am standing out in the snow!
So I had a bit of a sewing epiphany as far as buttons go with this skirt
Can you figure it out? There is a button hole on the left but not on the right. I only put in button holes on the top two buttons of the skirt. The rest of the buttons were just sewn through all the layers of the skirt. I only put button holes where I needed them to actually get the skirt off and on. This is such a time saver!
I also love these pockets, there are actually welt pockets underneath and I purposely did not take a picture of them because… well… lets just say they are functional but far from beautiful. I think it is a good idea to take pictures of ourselves in the things we sew. After looking at all these I realize I need to put a snap or something between the top two buttons. Putting my hands in the pockets a bunch has caused some gaping. This is something you don’t notice while standing perfectly still in front of a mirror.
So in conclusion I have a basic skirt with some cute details that will keep me warm all winter long and cost only about 5 dollars in materials. I think I am a happy girl.